Nemo Wagging Tail

1.31.2016

Why you always lying, Internet?



INTERNET! Why do you always do this to us? Why you always lying? People are so naive. They would believe anything that people say, especially on the Internet. Ever since I was a kid, my parents always tell me that never believe anything that the Internet says. Anyways, this article is about a famous article in Facebook that went viral and it was also about the world famous Powerball in the States. The jackpot for this Powerball is 1.3 Billion! (Just imagine what you can do with that money). The problem about this meme is that he miscalculated it. Instead of $4.39 each person, he calculated it as 4.3 million each. That doesn't make any sense. I was so surprised how the post made 253, 226 likes and 574, 007 shares. I am certainly not good at Math but I surely know how to use a calculator. I think that people liked and shared it because they actually believed that you can actually get 4.3 million or people shared or liked it because they think it's very stupid. The problem with our world is that people accept what they see and read on the Internet and this quickly upset me. 


4 comments:

  1. People must first obtain proof/evidence/facts from claims/arguments/statements before believing them to be factual/accurate. A good example of this is what you featured in this post, the miscalculated division of the Powerball jackpot by the estimated population of the United States. You've mentioned there's over 100,000 people who liked this post and yet none of them even attempted to actually do the math to see if the person who made the calculation! Over 100,000 and none of them tried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Certainly those who liked the post never brought into consideration that somethings are too good to be true. Plus, come on, since when will you get a quotient of amount in the millionth place value from diving an amount from the billionth place value by an amount belonging in the hundred millionth place value?! 1.3 billion divided by 300 million and you expect to get a quotient of 4.3 million?! Seriously, I think people should have their common senses checked!

    ReplyDelete